With Thanksgiving just around the corner, here is a delicious Sweet Potato Pie courtesy of the American Diabetes Association.
Makes one 9-inch pie, Serving Size: 1 Slice (10 servings total)
- 2 cups mashed cooked sweet potatoes
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup evaporated fat-free skim milk
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbs Splenda Sugar Blend
- 1 tbs trans fat-free margarine
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 9-inch unbaked pie crust
- 1/4 tsp salt
Chef’s Tip: We recommend roasting the sweet potatoes in the oven at 400 degrees F for 1 hour. Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and allow to cool. Peel off skin. Roasting is a great way to bring out the sweetness of the potato.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients except pie crust and beat with an electric mixer on low-medium speed until smooth.
- Spoon sweet potato mixture into pie crust. Bake for 45 minutes or until set.
- Cool completely on a wire rack. Serve with light whipped topping sprinkled with cinnamon, if desired.
Nutritional Facts (per serving):
- Calories: 180
- Sodium: 220 mg
- Protein: 5 g
- Total fat: 5 g
- Trans fat: 0
- Saturated fat: 1.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 28 g
- Dietary fiber: 2 g
- Potassium: 270 mg
- Phosphorus: 80 mg
- Cholesterol: 0
- Sugars: 14 g
This recipe was a big hit at the Annual Women’s Wellness Event “A Taste of Wellness”.