Little Company of Mary Hospital Board of Directors voted unanimously on December 4, 2007, to begin the Campus Transformation Project. The Campus Transformation Project would modernize the existing Little Company of Mary Hospital campus, providing new locations for many services located in the 1929 Tower Building. The new West Pavilion patient tower would house a new Women’s Center for Life and Health, the Family Birth Center and a total of 123 private and spacious patient rooms with bath. The new rooms were designed with the patient in mind, offering natural lighting, daybeds for visitors, hand washing stations at the entrance of every room, reducing the risk of infection, and technology that allows the patient to control their room environment.
In September 2010, the Little Company of Mary Sisters, physicians, friends, and neighbors gathered to celebrate the groundbreaking for the West Pavilion patient tower. Construction began in the winter of 2010 and was completed and celebrated with a special Eucharist Liturgy presided by Francis Cardinal George, O.M.I., on September 13, 2014.
The transformation of Little Company of Mary’s campus established the area’s first comprehensive women’s health center – the Women’s Center for Life and Health – in the West Pavilion. The new comprehensive women’s health center, a cornerstone of the Campus Transformation Project, addresses women’s health and wellness needs conveniently under one roof. By combining the latest clinical advances with empowering patient education, the hospital provides forward-thinking, gender-sensitive health care for women through all stages of life.
Services housed within the first floor of the Women’s Center include the Accredited Comprehensive Breast Health Center, Health Education Center and Women’s Wellness Consultants. The women’s center incorporates a serene waterwall that promotes healing and peace of mind.
The Family Birth Center on floors two and three offers modern, state-of-the-art labor and delivery facilities, including a Special Care Neonatal Unit. The Family Birth Center provides a spacious and tranquil environment allowing mother, baby and family to remain together and comfortable during a very special time. Each room provides a beautiful view to the rooftop garden.
Floors four through seven each have 24 private and spacious medical/surgical patient rooms and private baths. Nursing stations on all floors allow nurses a clear view of all areas and quick access to patient rooms to provide safety, convenience and comfort. One-Day Surgery pre-and post-op care was relocated out of the Tower building to the second floor nearer the existing operating rooms.
The hospital also incorporated inspirational and relaxing artwork throughout the West Pavilion for patients, visitors and staff to enjoy. The images included in the West Pavilion Art Program inspire hope and offer respite, and reflect nature scenes, cultural diversity, family and community. The program includes art by two local artists Carole Wilson and Kathleen Newman and photographs by the City of Chicago’s official photographer Patrick Pyszka.
The east entrance to the West Pavilion offers a beautiful and scenic landscape with a breathtaking 12-foot Maternal Heart of Mary statue located in the center of the newly constructed circle drive. The blessed Mother Mary statue traveled over 4666.45 miles from Carrara, Italy to the West Pavilion campus. In addition, the outdoor circle drive features the reconstructed porte cochère with original 1929 façade architectural elements. The garden honors the memory, mission and healing ministry of the founding LCM Sisters. The monuments represent: the “Little Company of Mary” (Mary Magdalene, the apostle John and Mary, the mother of Jesus) at the foot of the cross; the pear tree symbolizing the burgeoning and bountiful early community of the LCM Sisters; the arrival of the LCM Sisters for the blessing of the cornerstone of the hospital’s original 1929 Tower Building.
For more information about Little Company of Mary’s Campus Transformation or to watch the six-minute documentary film about the new West Pavilion, visit our website atLCMH.org/campustransformation.