By omitting the high-fat fillings like sour cream, fajitas can be a fresh and healthy meal. This recipe uses a mix of seasonings that add flavor without excessive fat or calories. Plus, it’s loaded with healthy vegetables, which give it a kick and a dose of healthy antioxidants, vitamins and minerals!
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 sweet red pepper
- 1 sweet green pepper
- 1 large onion
- Hot sauce
- 8 nonfat flour or whole-wheat tortillas
- Cut the chicken breasts into strips. In a shallow bowl, combine the lemon juice, cumin, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste. Add the chicken and marinate for 1 hour.
- Coat a nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat for 30 seconds. Add the chicken strips and cook them through, stirring constantly. Remove and set aside.
- Core and seed the peppers and cut them into strips. Slice the onion and then cut the slices in half. In the skillet cook the onions and peppers while stirring constantly. When the onions start to brown, add the chicken and cook until heated through. Add hot sauce to taste.
- Warm the tortillas according to the package directions. Spoon the chicken-and-peppers mixture on the heated tortillas and roll up. Serve immediately.
PER SERVING: 266 Calories • 1.6 Grams Fat • 5.6% Calories from Fat
Source: The 10% Low-Fat Cookbook