October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and in honor, we’ve come up with a list of reasons women should get a mammogram. If you are looking for a reason why, (or maybe you just want to learn a few interesting facts about breast cancer), check out our reasons below.
1. You fall into the category of women who should. If you are 40 years old or better, it’s recommended that you get an annual mammogram every 1-2 years. If you have a family history of breast cancer, the American Cancer Society recommends getting screened at the age of 30. If you don’t fall into these categories, share this article with a friend or family member who does. You might just save her life!
2. You have a risk factor. Being a woman is considered a risk factor for breast cancer, so half of the population has at least that to elevate their risk. Other risk factors include:
- Getting older
- Genetic risk factors
- Family history
- Personal history of breast cancer
- Race—breast cancer incidence is higher for non-Hispanic, white females than for females in other racial and ethnic groups
- Abnormal breast biopsy
- Early onset of menstrual periods
- Earlier breast radiation
- Treatment with diethylstilbestrol (DES)
- Not having children or having them later in life
- Postmenopausal hormone therapy
- Alcohol consumption
- Being overweight or obese
- High bone density
3. The odds of getting breast cancer might be higher than you think. Women have a 1 in 50 chance of getting breast cancer by age 50, a 1 in 24 chance by age 60 and a 1 in 8 lifetime risk for the disease. You have likely interacted with more than eight women in the past hour—consider what a small number that is, and a mammogram starts to seem more urgent.
4. It could save your life. When found early, breast cancer is almost always curable. So one hour today could either offer peace of mind for another year, or it could add years to your life. Both of those make for a valuable exchange—an hour of time for less worry, or an hour of time for more time.
5. It’s never been easier. Little Company of Mary offers same-day appointments for mammograms, so it has never been easier. If you have your physician’s mammogram screening order, pick up your phone—it’s probably sitting right next to you! Call 708.449.8550 and clear some time later today to take this step that might just save your life. Have peace of mind as your head hits the pillow tonight knowing that you took care of yourself today.
Little Company of Mary offers mammograms at two convenient locations:
- Women’s Center for Life and Health, 2800 W. 95th Street, Evergreen Park, IL
- Outpatient Care Center, 6700 W. 95th Street, Oak Lawn, IL
LCMH makes getting your mammogram easy. The Outpatient Care Center offers all that you expect in managing your breast health; ease and comfort, the latest technology, expert staff and same-day appointments. Our mammography suite features a fully digital mammography unit to ensure the highest quality screenings and Computerized Aided Detection (CAD), which is a special software designed to help the radiologist detect abnormalities. Our digital mammography provides a gentle approach to the testing using a softer, gentle flex paddle, improving comfort.
To schedule your mammogram, call 708.499.8550.