Every month, we feature a provider as an opportunity for the community to learn more about the great people on staff at Little Company of Mary Hospital. This month, we had the chance to talk with Jurate Kunickaite, D.O., family medicine physician with the Little Company of Mary Medical Group. Get to know Dr. Kunickaite:
Mary Potter Physicians Pavilion
2850 West 95th Street, Suite 101
Evergreen Park, IL 60805
Why did you decide to become a physician?
- I grew up surrounded by medicine. I was born in Lithuania, and my mother was in the medical field, working in Emergency Medicine. We frequently had neighbors coming to our house for advice from my mother or for a consultation. I also had relatives and family friends who were physicians. As the time approached for me to choose a career, I could not see myself doing anything else.
How did you choose your specialty?
- I always want to treat a person as a whole. During medical school, I enjoyed taking care of people of different ages and stages of life. I ended up choosing family medicine for my residency. It gave me great pleasure to take care of entire families, to see children grow and to be able to see people from all walks of life – from a newborn infant all the way to a geriatric patient.
What is your philosophy of care?
- As an osteopathic physician, I was taught to focus on the human body as a whole. I want to help my patients to see how important it is to start taking care of one’s self at an early age. In working with families, I have the ability not only to take care of moms and dads, but also to teach parents the skills they need to raise healthy kids. I have a passion for preventative care, as disease prevention is often much easier than treatment.
What do you look forward to the most in working with the patients at LCMH?
- I am eager to utilize the knowledge and skills that I have developed through the rigorous training in treating my new patients. I look forward to working together with my patients as a team and educating them on disease prevention while assisting them on their way to a long, healthy and happy life.
What is the number one advice / tip you give your patients for healthy living?
- We cannot underestimate the power of a restful sleep, well-balanced diet, and exercise. Every person needs to find time for these things in their busy schedules.
As a new physician with the Little Company of Mary Medical Group, what have you noticed is the best thing Little Company of Mary has to offer patients?
- Little Company of Mary Hospital provides quality, compassionate care, showing respect and dignity to everyone who enters its doors. The employees are extremely friendly and truly want to help each patient. Furthermore, LCMH strives to provide the most up-to-date and comprehensive care for its patients.
What are your hobbies and interests outside of the office?
- I enjoy reading, jogging, traveling, spending time with family.
The Little Company of Mary Medical Group has been serving families in Chicago’s Southland and surrounding suburban communities since 1994. Each individual physician office provides clinical excellence above and beyond traditional medicine in a peaceful, clean, and caring environment. The office utilizes the best information and state-of-the-art technology to deliver and manage care and improve the health of the community. To learn more, visit www.LCMMedicalGroup.org today.