Midwifery Program now offered at Little Company of Mary
We’re excited to announce that our Family Birth Center now offers a midwifery program. The Center welcomes Mary Kay Burke CNM, a certified nurse midwife who collaborates with board certified obstetricians to provide a modern holistic approach to expectant women throughout their pregnancy, birth and postpartum. In addition, she provides well woman and gynecologic care delivered with the personal attention that women want.
A few facts about nurse midwives:
- Certified Nurse Midwives are health care providers board certified in nurse midwifery.
- The Midwife Model of Care includes prenatal visits focusing on education and guidance, continuous support throughout labor, birth and postpartum. Midwives provide encouragement, massage, relaxation, frequent position changes and it results in less chance of complications, fewer interventions, and a healthier birth for you and your baby.
Your midwife will:
- Help you customize a birth plan that achieves the birthing experience you desire
- Stay with you immediately following your birth, until you feel comfortable to begin your first hours with your new baby
- Your midwife will help you initiate breastfeeding if that is your preference and may collaborate with lactation consultants to help you have the very best start
As a registered nurse, Burke worked nearly 16 years in the labor and delivery unit at Little Company of Mary before completing additional education and training in maternity care, becoming board certified in nurse midwifery at the University of Illinois at Chicago. As an Advanced Practice Nurse, Burke is credentialed as a certified nurse midwife and a women’s health nurse practitioner.
“Moms can count on me to be there for them in labor,” says Burke. “I am looking forward to meeting moms and working together to help them achieve the birth experience they desire. We are fortunate to have a wide variety of birthing options available to provide each mom the personalized attention and individual care that she deserves during this extraordinary time in her life.”
Little Company of Mary’s Midwifery program is for normal low risk expecting mothers and any woman who is in need of well woman care. Burke will see patients at Women’s Healthcare Affiliates practice in Evergreen Park located at 2850 West 95th street, suite 103. To learn more about Little Company of Mary’s Midwifery Program, visit www.lcmwomensservices.org/midwife. To schedule an appointment with Mary Kay Burke, please call 708-636-9205.