Every month, we feature a provider as an opportunity for the community to learn more about the great people on staff at Little Company of Mary Hospital. This month, we had the chance to talk with Lori Fender, Certified Nurse Midwife (CNM) with the Little Company of Mary Medical Group (2850 West 95th Street, Evergreen Park). Read on to get to know Lori, including why she became a midwife and what she does outside the office.
Why did you decide to become a certified nurse midwife?
- As a Labor and Delivery nurse, I helped women cope through labor and delivery of their baby. I would call the doctor and try to time his arrival accordingly for the arrival of the baby. As the midwife, I am able to assist with all of these aspects. I love providing that continuity.
What do you enjoy most about being a midwife?
- Midwife means “with woman.” I love being a partner with a woman as she travels on her life’s journey – From teens and college students, working women, newly married, pregnant, and breastfeeding, to beyond childbearing age and through their menopausal journey. A true blessing for me is when a patient refers her daughter to me!
What is your philosophy of care?
- I am a partner in your care. It is my job to give you good advice on your health and to offer you options. It is your responsibility to make the best choices for yourself and your family that you can.
What is the number one piece of advice / tip you give your patients for healthy living?
- Keep moving! Everyone should make time to walk at least 30 minutes several times a week.
What is the best thing Little Company of Mary has to offer patients?
- LCMH has achieved “Baby Friendly” status! We are one of 11 hospitals in Illinois that has been designated Baby Friendly. This means that LCMH offers an optimal level of care for infant feeding and mother/baby bonding. Simply put, we keep mom, dad and baby together.
If you hadn’t become a midwife, what would you be doing?
- I’d probably be a Labor and Delivery nurse. I can’t imagine anything I would rather do than help women have babies.
What are your hobbies and interests outside of the office?
- Hanging out with my adult children and their families, walking my dog and a bit of gardening, knitting and baking.
Lori Fender, CNM
2850 West 95th Street, Suite 103
Evergreen Park, IL 60805
The Little Company of Mary Medical Group has served families in Chicago’s Southland and surrounding suburban communities since 1994. Each individual physician office provides clinical excellence above and beyond traditional medicine in a peaceful, clean, and caring environment. The office utilizes the best information and state-of-the-art technology to deliver and manage care and improve the health of the community. To learn more, visit www.LCMMedicalGroup.org today.