Every month, we feature a physician as an opportunity for the community to learn more about the great doctors on staff at Little Company of Mary Hospital. This month we had the chance to talk with Sonya Kenkare, M.D., FAAD, dermatologist with the Little Company of Mary Medical Group. Read on to get to know Dr. Kenkare:
- Medical School: University of Illinois at Chicago
- Internship: Resurrection St. Francis Hospital
- Residency: University of Chicago Medical Center
- Board Certification: American Board of Dermatology (2014)
Why did you decide to become a physician?
- I love science and being able to apply it directly toward improving people’s health and quality of life. I also enjoy working with people. Being a physician allows me to do both of these things.
How did you choose your specialty?
- Dermatology improves peoples’ health and creates a visual impact. I love that my patients are able to see improvement which motivates them to continue to be diligent with their care. Additionally, dermatology allows for the use a variety of techniques to help people in many ways. This specialty is all encompassing, including medicine, surgery, lasers and cosmetic. I also am an artist in my free time, so I truly enjoy the visual nature of pattern recognition and diagnosis. Furthermore, the clinic setting allows me to interact with people and get to know my patients on a personal level, which I love.
What do you enjoy most about being a physician?
- I enjoy performing work that positively impacts my patients’ lives. I also like getting to know my patients and colleagues.
What is your philosophy of care?
- I want to develop relationships with each of my patients while I learn about their dermatologic issues and needs. There is both an art and a science to choosing the right dermatologic treatment option for an individual, and I want to work with my patients to help them feel healthy and comfortable in their own skin.
What is the number one advice you give your patients for healthy living?
- Live with moderation. Also, apply sunscreen and moisturizer every day.
What do you look forward to most in working with patients at Little Company of Mary?
- Little Company of Mary Hospital provides quality care for patients in such a warm community setting. I look forward to being a part of this family and working with the wonderful staff and colleagues I’ve met here so far.
If you hadn’t become a physician, what would you be doing?
- I have a passion for learning, so I believe I would have been a teacher. I’m also a big fan of reading so I would consider being a fiction or children’s book author.
What are your hobbies and interests outside of the office?
- I enjoy abstract acrylic painting, spinning and working out. I also am learning to cook!
The Little Company of Mary Medical Group has been serving families in Chicago’s Southland and surrounding suburban communities since 1994. Each individual physician office provides clinical excellence above and beyond traditional medicine in a peaceful, clean, and caring environment. The office utilizes the best information and state-of-the-art technology to deliver and manage care and improve the health of the community. To learn more, visit www.LCMMedicalGroup.org today.