Every month, we feature a provider as an opportunity for the community to learn more about the great people on staff at Little Company of Mary Hospital. This month, we had the chance to talk with Julia Philip-Kuli, M.D., family medicine physician with the Little Company of Mary Medical Group. Get to know Dr. Philip-Kuli:
Mt. Greenwood Medical Center
10961 S. Kedzie Avenue
Chicago, IL 60655-2219
Why did you decide to become a physician?
- Even as a child, I never turned away from the injured. If someone scraped a knee, I helped wash the area and bandage it. If someone was sad or crying, I tried my very best jokes to cheer them up. I wanted a career that would allow me to impact others in a positive way and help them be at their best physical and mental well-being. I also found science, biology and the human body fascinating. Medicine provided the perfect platform to pursue my two passions – science and healing – and, ultimately, guide people to reach their health goals.
How did you choose your specialty?
- Choosing a specialty was more difficult than I anticipated. Most physicians enter medical school with an idea of what they want to do, but it typically is not until you start your rotations that you solidify your true passion. Unfortunately, or fortunately, for me, I loved ALL of my rotations. While I was on OB/GYN, I would check on the baby even days after delivery. After admitting patients from the emergency department, I would follow their care on the floor even though I was not directly their provider. I ultimately found that Family Medicine provided me the opportunity to touch every aspect of a patient’s care while simultaneously staying connected to each generation of a family.
What is your philosophy of care?
- My job as a provider is not to dictate care, but to provide an environment for a patient to have an open a dialogue about health concerns, answer questions, give advice and be an advocate. I take my cues from the patient and adjust my approach depending on how motivated one is regarding their physical and mental health.
What do you look forward to the most in working with the patients at LCMH?
- I look forward to getting to know the faculty and staff and working in a collaborative environment that encourages patients to focus on both physical and mental well-being.
What is the number one advice / tip you give your patients for healthy living?
- I like to focus on a person as a whole: Mind, body and spirit. It is a little known fact that if you are not mentally well, you are not physically well. In this day and age, we are bombarded with digital information and pulled in many different directions. This constant stimulation increases sleep issues, anxiety and stress. I strongly encourage my patients to “unplug” and reclaim ownership of their personal time so they can connect with the people and world around them to ensure good mental/spiritual health in addition to their physical health.
As a new provider with the Little Company of Mary Medical Group, what have you noticed is the best thing Little Company of Mary has to offer patients?
- Everyone I have met to date truly has a passion for medicine and a love for the organization. This type of dedication comes across as genuine compassion, love and patient care. Many providers follow the same standard of care, but it is truly the empathy and humanity that is exemplified in LCMH employees that cannot be matched elsewhere. It is evident that LCMH physicians and staff truly encompass values of kindness and charity and I am looking forward to being a part of this community.
What are your hobbies and interests outside of the office?
- I love spending time with my family and being the typical enthusiastic sideline mom for my children’s sporting events. Most of my free time is spent making memories with my family. We enjoy movies, plays and traveling. I tend to travel with my entire family and trying new foods and immersing within the new cultures of the places we visit is one my favorite things to do.
The Little Company of Mary Medical Group has been serving families in Chicago’s Southland and surrounding suburban communities since 1994. Each individual physician office provides clinical excellence above and beyond traditional medicine in a peaceful, clean, and caring environment. The office utilizes the best information and state-of-the-art technology to deliver and manage care and improve the health of the community. To learn more, visit www.LCMMedicalGroup.org today.