Every month, we feature a provider as an opportunity for the community to learn more about the great people on staff at Little Company of Mary Hospital. This month, we had the chance to talk with Michael J. McDonnell, M.D., Internal Medicine physician with the Little Company of Mary Medical Group (5660 West 95th Street, Oak Lawn). Get to know Dr. McDonnell:
Why did you decide to become a physician?
- I enjoyed math and science and did well in those classes. I also really like people. I did not want to be a scientist in a lab – I wanted to use science while interacting with others.
How did you choose your specialty?
- It seemed to be the specialty in which I could most work and interact with patients over the course of their life and take that journey with them.
What is your philosophy of care?
- Prevention along with collaboration and teamwork with my patients. I want to help my patients understand that while we are not in charge of very much, we can work toward being the best version of ourselves.
What do you look forward to the most in working with the patients at LCMH?
- Keeping them as healthy as possible in preparation for their Golden Years, and walking alongside them when they are not healthy.
What is the number one advice / tip you give your patients for healthy living?
- Make the right choices and be the best version of yourself as we prepare for the Golden Years. I also cannot stress enough the importance of exercise.
As a new physician with the Little Company of Mary Medical Group, what have you noticed is the best thing Little Company of Mary has to offer patients?
- Compassionate care, a smile, a touch, responsiveness.
What are your hobbies and interests outside of the office?
- I enjoy spending time with my wife and six children, exercise, yoga, coaching baseball, camping, canoeing, hiking, and fishing.
The Little Company of Mary Medical Group has been serving families in Chicago’s Southland and surrounding suburban communities since 1994. Each individual physician office provides clinical excellence above and beyond traditional medicine in a peaceful, clean, and caring environment. The office utilizes the best information and state-of-the-art technology to deliver and manage care and improve the health of the community. To learn more, visit www.LCMMedicalGroup.org today.