Every month, we feature a provider as an opportunity for the community to learn more about the great people on staff at Little Company of Mary Hospital. This month, we had the chance to talk with Mia Layne, M.D., OB/GYN with the Little Company of Mary Medical Group (2850 West 95th Street, Evergreen Park). Read on to get to know Dr. Layne, including how she chose her specialty and what she does outside of the office:
Why did you decide to become a physician?
- I have always been fascinated with the field of medicine. This interest spans back to the age of four, when I told my parents that I wanted to be a doctor. It was not until my teenage years when that innate appeal developed meaning. At that time, I realized that the profession of a physician was an honor to hold where you could make purposeful interactions with patients and community members and be a lifelong learner. The field of medicine is forever evolving and as a physician, you must stay up-to-date with the advancements in medicine.
How did you choose your specialty?
- The concept of the development of life has always intrigued me. I truly believe that it is a privilege to be welcomed into the room of a patient during one of the most joyous and memorable times of their lives: the birth of a child. Obstetrics is one of the only fields of medicine where the patient is happy to be in the hospital. I also enjoy being able to provide primary care as a gynecologist, both inside the office and in the operating room. Gynecologists are trusted by their patients to explore very sensitive and private information about their health. I love being able to make patients comfortable to open up and trust me as their women’s healthcare provider.
What do you enjoy most about being a physician?
- I love being able to provide quality, thoughtful and comprehensive care to women throughout all stages of life.
What is your philosophy of care?
- Medicine is only one component of an individual’s health. It is imperative to look at the patient as a whole and explore those other components that impact overall well-being while practicing the standard of care.
What do you look forward to the most in working with the patients at LCMH?
- I was raised in the community that the LCMH serves. I look forward to providing quality care to the community that helped mold me into the woman and physician that I am today.
What is the number one advice / tip you give your patients for healthy living?
- Always work on a healthy balance between work, family and making time for you. It is impossible to give 100% of ourselves to the millions of things that are on our plates, but if we focus on a healthy balance, we will flourish in all aspects of our lives, including our health.
As a new physician at Little Company of Mary Hospital, what have you noticed is the best thing Little Company of Mary has to offer patients?
- When you are a patient at Little Company of Mary, you are treated like family. Everyone is friendly and inviting, which makes you feel welcomed and comfortable in receiving the comprehensive health care that is offers. From the time you walk through the door, every employee plays a role in making your experience remarkable.
If you hadn’t become a physician, what would you be doing?
- If this profession did not choose me, I would likely be a forensic pathologist solving crimes. I have always loved a great challenge and putting the pieces together to solve a puzzle, which is a metaphor for what we do in medicine on a daily basis.
What are your hobbies and interests outside of the office?
- I truly enjoy experiencing new cultures and meeting new people, which is why traveling abroad is a huge interest of mine. During my spare time, I treasure spending quality time with family and close friends.
Mia, Layne, M.D., OB/GYN
2850 West 95th Street, Suite 103
Evergreen Park, IL 60805
The Little Company of Mary Medical Group has served families in Chicago’s Southland and surrounding suburban communities since 1994. Each individual physician office provides clinical excellence above and beyond traditional medicine in a peaceful, clean, and caring environment. The office utilizes the best information and state-of-the-art technology to deliver and manage care and improve the health of the community. To learn more, visit www.LCMMedicalGroup.org today.