Every month, we feature a provider as an opportunity for the community to learn more about the great people on staff at Little Company of Mary Hospital. This month, we had the chance to talk with Melinda Weiss, D.O., OB/GYN with the Little Company of Mary Medical Group. Read on to get to know Dr. Weiss:
Melinda Weiss, D.O., OB/GYN
2850 West 95th Street, Suite 103
Evergreen Park, IL 60805
Why did you decide to become a physician?
- I always have been drawn to medicine. In fact, my first computer game at age five involved naming organs and bones of the human body. In addition to being fascinated with everything the human body can do, I also am drawn to human service. There is something extraordinary about helping someone, specifically in medicine, that is hard to find in any other career.
How did you choose your specialty?
- I liked a little bit of everything in medical school, so choosing a field was difficult. I wanted to be a generalist and specialist, a surgeon and a clinician, and be in the hospital as well as be in the clinic. I feel that Obstetrics and Gynecology embodies everything I was looking for in my chosen field. In addition to combining the above, it also allows me unparalleled continuity with patients, in that I can have the same patient from her teen years all the way through when she becomes a grandmother. There is something so very special about that. Furthermore, there is no happier field – Nothing beats the joy of bringing a life into this world and seeing that joy on a new mom’s face.
What do you enjoy most about being a physician?
- Two things: the people and the science. Getting to work with diverse people every day and help them learn about their own health is just incredible. Also, right now is such a phenomenal time in medicine and science, and it’s so fascinating to see all the advances and how far we’ve come in what we can do for people.
What is your philosophy of care?
- I am a firm believer that medicine is a collaborative effort between the physician and the patient. I am privileged to have the medical knowledge that I do, and it is my responsibility to share that knowledge with patients in a clear and reasonable manner to help them make the best decision for their own health. Ultimately, patients are in charge of their bodies and their decisions, and it is my job to advocate for them as they navigate their health and work as a team to make the best decisions possible.
What is the number one advice / tip you give your patients for healthy living?
- It’s ok to make mistakes, just do the best you can. There are many standards in our society that I think it put a lot of pressure on people to look a certain way or “have an extra scoop of ice cream.” If you are trying to be healthier, make small changes in whatever way is best for you, not for someone else. And without mistakes, how else would we learn?
As a new physician at Little Company of Mary Hospital, what have you noticed is the best thing Little Company of Mary has to offer patients?
- Little Company of Mary is a remarkable hospital with a true family feel, and the care and attention provided to each patient is incredible. As an OB/GYN resident, I went to multiple hospitals with very different labor and delivery units, and LCMH is the most incredible Family Birth Center I have encountered. From the patient rooms to the staff to the postpartum care, there is nothing quite like it.
If you hadn’t become a physician, what would you be doing?
- I’m a city girl from Los Angeles but I’d love to be a farmer. However, since I know nothing about non-city life, in reality maybe I’d have gone to veterinary school.
What are your hobbies and interests outside of the office?
- I enjoy watching standup comedy, movies and reading. I moved to Chicago in 2013, so I’m still exploring all the city has to offer as well as the rest of the Midwest. And of course, spending time with friends and family.
The Little Company of Mary Medical Group has served families in Chicago’s Southland and surrounding suburban communities since 1994. Each individual physician office provides clinical excellence above and beyond traditional medicine in a peaceful, clean, and caring environment. The office utilizes the best information and state-of-the-art technology to deliver and manage care and improve the health of the community. To learn more, visit www.LCMMedicalGroup.org today.