Every month, we feature a provider as an opportunity for the community to learn more about the great people on staff at Little Company of Mary Hospital. This month, we had the chance to talk with Justin Sobinsky, M.D., General Surgeon with Little Company of Mary’s Medical Group (Mary Potter Physicians Pavilion – 2850 West 95th Street, Suite 306, Evergreen Park, IL 60805).
Get to know Dr. Sobinsky:
Why did you decide to become a physician?
- I was raised in a family of physicians. My grandfather was a family medicine doctor at Little Company of Mary many years ago. I saw how satisfied he was with taking care of patients and how passionate he was about talking about medicine. My interest in medicine was only strengthened when I worked at my dad’s hospital. My dad also is a general surgeon which gave me the opportunity to work in the operating rooms. I was able to watch him perform his craft and make a difference in people’s lives. It was then that I realized that not only do I want to improve the lives of people; I want to contribute to the advancements of medicine.
Why did you choose your specialty?
- As previously mentioned, during summer and winter breaks during high school, college and medical school, I worked in the operating room with my dad. It was there I got exposed to many different fields of surgery and anesthesiology. I was drawn to general surgery because it allowed me to treat a patient from head to toe. For example, I enjoy that a patient can be both diagnosed and cured of their abdominal pain and return to their everyday life within a few days. I feel that I made a difference in their lives. Medicine is a very dynamic field that is ever changing. The technology that has evolved since I started medical school has improved in the way we treat patients and I look forward to continuing my education throughout my career to become a better physician.
What do you enjoy most about being a physician?
- I enjoy being able to cure patients of pain with an operation and seeing them leave the hospital in a better situation than when they came.
What is your philosophy of care?
- I believe in creating a team with my patient, family members and other members of the healthcare team. Working in this manner creates a clear plan that everybody understands and can agree with. I believe that patients and their families should understand that surgery is a decision not to be taken lightly and everybody in the team needs to be on board with this decision.
What do you look forward to the most in working with the patients at LCMH?
- I hope to make a positive impact with my patients. I look forward to working with the other physicians at Little Company of Mary and creating friendships. I want to make life long relationships with my patients and their families.
What is the number one advice / tip you give your patients for healthy living?
- Treat your body as the most important thing you have because you have only one. People tend to treat material objects better than themselves. I think that patients need to be cognizant of what they put into their bodies and how they take care of themselves.
As a new physician at Little Company of Mary Hospital, what have you noticed is the best thing Little Company of Mary has to offer patients?
- Little Company of Mary is a tight knit community hospital. I was actually born at Little Company of Mary, my grandfather was a family medicine physician here and my grandparents were patients here later on in life. The warm interactions from all different types of employees show patients and their families that they care. I think that this genuine investment by employees into the hospital elevates the level of care that benefits our patients.
If you hadn’t become a physician, what would you be doing?
- I probably would have become a lawyer. I love medicine and also have an interest in law.
What are your hobbies and interests outside of the office?
- I enjoy spending time with my wife and baby. We just had our first child and it has been amazing watching her develop so quickly. My other free time is spent running for exercise, watching movies with my wife or spending time with our families. I also am a huge Chicago sports fan and try to attend as many sporting events as possible.
Little Company of Mary’s Medical Group has been serving families in Chicago’s Southland and surrounding suburban communities since 1994. Each individual physician office provides clinical excellence above and beyond traditional medicine in a peaceful, clean, and caring environment. The office utilizes the best information and state-of-the-art technology to deliver and manage care and improve the health of the community. To learn more, visit www.LCMMedicalGroup.org today.