Every month, we feature a provider as an opportunity for the community to learn more about the great people on staff at Little Company of Mary Hospital. This month, we had the chance to talk with Brian Johnson, APN, Certified Orthopedic Nurse Practitioner with the Little Company of Mary Medical Group. Read on to get to know Brian:
Why did you decide to become a nurse practitioner?
- I started in nursing with an Associate’s Degree. Soon after, I realized that I did not have to continue to go to school, but actually that I wanted to go to school. Then, learning became much more fun. I got my BA, then my BSN, then my MSN and FNP, and finally my certification in orthopedics. The more I learned, I just could not get enough. It was so exciting and it expanded my role in helping people, so I just continued on – like Forrest Gump running, I wanted to keep learning!
How did you choose your specialty?
- I didn’t choose my specialty, it chose me. Just like a puppy at the shelter chooses a person to go home with, once orthopedics found me, I was taken. I love everything about orthopedics. From surgeries (total joints and sports medicine) to ultrasounds to seeing patients in the office – It is not work or a job, but truly is a license to do what I love.
What is your philosophy of care?
- A wise surgeon once told me, “There is no operation, like no operation.” I strive to treat patients conservatively and let the body attempt to heal itself before choosing surgery.
What do you look forward to the most in working with the patients at LCMH?
- I hate to admit it, but I’m a real “ortho geek.” I love orthopedics! I also love using ultrasound to help diagnose musculoskeletal disorders. It’s so exciting to see the muscles and tendons dynamically with ultrasound. It’s a real thrill to be able to help my patients see their problem in real time and then to help them develop a plan to get better.
What is the number one advice / tip you give your patients for healthy living?
- It’s never too late to take control of your own health. Set small goals and take baby steps. Each goal achieved is a huge win and helps build a strong foundation.
As a new provider with the Little Company of Mary Medical Group, what have you noticed is the best thing Little Company of Mary has to offer patients?
- Any institution is only as good as its people. The people at LCMH are bright, engaging and friendly. You notice the positive energy from the first step in the door – What a great place to come for your healthcare.
What are your hobbies and interests outside of the office?
- My biggest interest is with outdoor activities: Visiting National Parks, hiking, caving, climbing and rappelling, white water rafting, golfing – Basically anything outside that keeps me busy and moving. For me, sitting by a pool is fun for about five minutes, then it’s time to get up and explore the world!
The Little Company of Mary Medical Group has been serving families in Chicago’s Southland and surrounding suburban communities since 1994. Each individual physician office provides clinical excellence above and beyond traditional medicine in a peaceful, clean, and caring environment. The office utilizes the best information and state-of-the-art technology to deliver and manage care and improve the health of the community. To learn more, visit www.LCMMedicalGroup.org today.